Barry left us unexpectedly on June 8, 2010. In his 25 years of life, he brought so many wonderful memories to people around him.

A memorial service will be held on Thursday June 17 at 4:30pm, in the Gold Room of the Stanford Faculty Club. Please RSVP by completing the form here.

Directions to the Stanford Faculty Club can be found here.

If you would like to post an article here to share with us your memories about Barry, please follow the instructions below.

Email your message to:
barrychai1985.2010 [at] blogger.com
with the subject:
From [Your Name Here]
and include the text and images (up to 10MB in size) in the body of the email.

Your messages will help the family know Barry better as a beloved friend, a treasured classmate, and a trusted colleague.

Monday, June 14, 2010

From Ning (Tony) Dong @ Athens, Greece

Dear Barry,

 

Do you remember how you made me go to see Avatar in San Francisco after Christmas? I had to fly back to China in three days yet you told me the movie was not to be missed. I still had a lot to deal with before leaving and you offered to take care of everything I could not finish. You even offered to help me pack when you saw how lousy I was in packing. I was, am and will always be happy to have made it with you and other friends – it was one of the best days I ever spent in San Francisco.

 

Do you remember last Christmas Eve? You told me that you don't do Christmas much but in a gesture to celebrate the upcoming year, we should clean up our house – a house of three bachelors without major cleaning for at least two months. Man that was a lot of heavy-vacuuming and serious scrubbing. But after the cleaning, I felt everything lighten up and we were finally able to invite friends to our place without embarrassment.

 

Do you remember how you taught me coding in Visual C#? Right after last fall quarter, you spent at least one hour a day to answer my questions and search for solutions. Sometimes I could not find the best solution and wanted to settle for the second-best yet you always come up with something better after a brief period of reflection. Do you know that I am still using similar GUI you helped me design for my prototype system validation?

 

Do you remember how much fun we had in tennis, ping pong, and badminton? Unfortunately, the last time we played badminton, your eye got injured. Remember neither of us had ever been to the Stanford emergency room and how you told me to take it easy while driving when I started to lose it? Remember while waiting in the emergency room you were still telling jokes? I wish I will have that level of control over my nerves some day.

 

Do you remember "San Guo Sha", a sophisticated Chinese version of the mafia role-play game I introduced to you? You love that game. Yet you were not very good in playing the bad guys. I guess you were too honest and sincere in your whole life to play those characters. I hope somehow you improved your acting skill over the past five months while I was absent.

 

Do you still remember the pact you, Xiaodong and I made to continue to be roommates when I come back to Stanford this September? How are we supposed to find a better roommate?

 

We have to accept that you are gone and we believe that you are now in a better place. Yet the influence and imprint you left to your friends and family will live on forever. I deeply regret not being able to be there to provide support for your family or make it to your memorial service. However, I will always remember you as a witty, caring and passionate friend, a serious teacher and scholar who constantly aims for perfectionism, and a wonderful roommate by any standard.

 

Truly yours,

 

Ning (Tony) Dong

 


No comments:

Post a Comment