Barry left us unexpectedly on June 8, 2010. In his 25 years of life, he brought so many wonderful memories to people around him.

A memorial service will be held on Thursday June 17 at 4:30pm, in the Gold Room of the Stanford Faculty Club. Please RSVP by completing the form here.

Directions to the Stanford Faculty Club can be found here.

If you would like to post an article here to share with us your memories about Barry, please follow the instructions below.

Email your message to:
barrychai1985.2010 [at] blogger.com
with the subject:
From [Your Name Here]
and include the text and images (up to 10MB in size) in the body of the email.

Your messages will help the family know Barry better as a beloved friend, a treasured classmate, and a trusted colleague.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

From Xiaodong Li

Barry and I are roommates for the whole past academic year, which is the first one for both him and me. In these days, what I think first when I wake up in the morning, is Barry's gone. I always recall the happy days when we were together.

I still remembered his first impression: friendly, enthusiastic and cheerful. He was always good to others, and I never saw he was sad, angry or anxious. When he would like to have a meal and if I was also at home, he usually asked me to go together. Sometimes I accepted his invitations, but I also refused much. However, when I would like to have a chat with him, he never refused me. Once I asked him to play badminton together. He was very busy those days, but he still said, "OK, just for an hour." In his opinion, friendship is very important.

He was very positive, but in a natural way. He liked engineering, because he was very excited about it. He put papers everywhere in his room, and I usually saw him reading papers in bed, or thinking about ideas while pacing around. He submitted a paper to a conference not long ago, on which day he worked all-night. Also, he was going to do a consulting work for a company this summer. Every time he got an achievement, he would like to share his happiness with his friends. He was really a sincere man.

When I came back from LA last winter break, we had a lot of fun together. We went to San Francisco, played basketball and tennis, and hold parties to play cards together. People were always affected by his cheerful disposition, and became very happy. He had planed to ski every two weeks last winter quarter, but he barely went because he was very busy in the following two quarters. We had some plans for the future: to play tennis and basketball, to ride bikes in San Francisco, and even to write a paper together. They cannot be performed, and it will be my lifelong regret.

I have already regarded him as my best friend, and I told him everything about myself. He was a pure and mature guy, and helped me a lot when I was worried or upset. Every time we chatted, we would tell jokes, or even had jokes on each other. We often talked for a long time, about TV series, music, diet, academy, past, future, values and so on. Sometimes we argued, but very happily. Once we watched a movie online in his room, we chatted and laughed and did not notice that the movie was not the one we wanted to watch. On Sunday before he passed away, we chatted for two hours even we both had finals to prepare, and he told me he thought we were similar to each other. I replied it was because we had a lot in common.

He was very excited and happy since the beginning of this month. The last day before he went to LA, he even came to my room to check in the mirror whether the shoes and jean matched. We both thought the leather shoes were too formal, and he changed to wear a pair of travel shoes. I expected very much what a wonderful and cheerful summer he would have. When I heard the grievous news last Wednesday, I could not accept it at all.

However, I know Barry spent a fantastic life. He lived a frugal life but was very rich in mind and friendship. He will be missed and remembered deeply in my whole life.

No comments:

Post a Comment